Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Main Cup signage

Identity & signage for a coffeehouse in Cincinnati. Since this was a historic shopping district, the sign had to conform to local codes and be a specific shape and size, as well as have a "historic" feel to it. The client had some very specific ideas about the design, as well: they wanted the "U" in Cup to have a river flowing out of it, which came from a dream they had. Since they wanted a warm wood background but couldn't afford it, I used a vinyl decal on plastic and went with a sort of saloon-looking design, which they were really happy with. But I didn't see the actual storefront until opening day, and I wish I had, because I think the old-timey western sign looks pretty goofy hung in front of a beautiful vintage '30s storefront. The value of research.

No comments: